- Supports mood regulation
- Helps maintain emotional well-being
- Support a feeling of tranquility and promotes a healthy emotional balance
- Promotes a feeling of calmness and relaxation
What is St John’s Wort?
St John’s Wort or Hypericum perforatum is named after St John’s the Baptist as the plant flowers around the 24 June, his birthday. ‘Wort’ is also an old English word for plant. This bright yellow flowering plant is cultivated worldwide and has a history of use dating back to the ancient Greeks and Romans when it was believed to ward off evil spirits. Not too far of the truth, today the dried flowers from the plant are used in herbal therapeutic supplements in the treatment of mild depression.
The leaves of St John’s Wort contain a healing pigment called hypericin and a chemical called hyperforin which both appear to help improve levels of serotonin in the brain which is partly responsible for mood and emotion.
St John’s Wort from Swanson’s, a brand of premium herbal supplements, has been formulated with the highest standards in quality, purity and potency. With a company ethos of ‘bringing wellness to the world’, Swanson’s is a name that you can trust.
What St John’s Wort used for?
St John’s Wort is a natural supplement choice used by herbalists to improve mood, emotion and mild depression.
Benefits of using Swanson’s St John’s Wort supplements may include:
- Improving mild depression:Several studies into St John’s Wort have concluded that it could be effective as an antidepressant due to its affects in increasing levels of serotonin in the brain.
- Promoting sound sleep: If you are feeling down, stressed or anxious, this could lead to insomnia, low levels of energy and general tiredness. St John’s Wort promotes quality sleep giving you the energy you need for the day ahead.
- Antibacterial action: St John’s Wort helps to boost the immune system in fighting off bacteria and viruses.
- Managing menopause: Some research has suggested that St John’s Wort could be beneficial in menopausal women, improving their mood and emotions which could in turn have a positive effect on their libido.
- Blow away those wintertime blues: Otherwise known as S.A.D, seasonal affective disorder, St John’s Wort may help to reduce the symptoms of this seasonal effect on mood and wellbeing.
What is the recommended dose St John’s Wort capsules?
Swanson recommends that their potent St John’s Wort 375mg capsules are taken once a day with water either between meals or as directed by your healthcare provider.